1. Bring in food and have the staff guess the recipe. The closest person wins a prize.
2. Dress up. No one ever said Halloween is the only time of year to wear costumes.
3. Host a scavenger hunt throughout the hospital or throughout the entire town.
4. Hold a raffle of arts and crafts donated by the lab staff.
5. Bring in a band to celebrate your work. Or comprise a band of your own team members.
6. Host an open house for the local media, including print, broadcast and radio.
7. Ask a local radio station to broadcast from your facility's parking lot.
8. Invite a guest speaker to discuss an interesting or pertinent topic.
9. Host a "bring your kids to work day" or host a field trip from a local school to introduce young people to clinical lab science. Recruit future colleagues!
10. Mimic a TV game show such as "Deal or No Deal" or "American Idol."
11. Build a wall in a room that's made of a dry-erase board-floor to ceiling-and bring markers for the staff to go wild with creativity.
12. Host a "Show 'n Tell" and encourage staff to bring in a treasure that represents a part of their history.
13. Have someone on staff lead a wellness workshop (e.g., on nutrition, work-life balance, methods to handle stress, ways to nurture yourself).
14. Bring in a massage therapist for the entire day.
15. Host an "Introduction to Yoga" class with a step-by-step approach for poses, breathing and meditation.
16. Hire a professional photographer to take headshots of every laboratory employee, frame them and hang outside the laboratory in the hospital's hall with the employee's name and title.
17. Hire a group of high school students to wash employees' cars in the parking lot.
18. Appoint a committee to permanently rename a room in the hospital. For example, the break room can be named in honor of an employee past or present. Hold a ceremony to commemorate the event.
19. Use the week as an opportunity to recognize outstanding staff members, present employee awards.
20. Raffle unique prizes, such as an extra day off, free lunch for a week or first crack at company reimbursement for a conference or CE event.
21. Have all staff members bring in a baby photo and try to guess who's who.
22. Play guess the physician by having the docs submit an interesting personal fact and posting the list.
23. Have a meet and great potluck for each shift (assign the nurses appetizers, physicians dessert, imaging paper products and drinks, etc.).
24. Host an "everything on a stick" party (think swedish meatballs, mozerella basil bites).
25. Draw up a mock laboratory with safety hazards and have techs compete to find them all.
26. Hide pictures of lab staff or items throughout the facility and conduct a scavenger hunt.
27. Plan a crazy hat or crazy scrubs day.
28. Play secret santa and get your lab buddy a small gift.
29. Go with a theme, like one reader suggested, and plan a baseball party complete with hotdogs, popcord and Wii during breaks.
30. Play shuffle alley with petri dishes.
Share Your Tips
Have celebration tips to share with the laboratory community? Post your comments below!